- The best and most challenging things that happened this semester are the following: being able to finish the Project Proposal for my Capstone Project, which is also my service learning experience and turning in my IRB application form to my Capstone Chair. I found making the Project Proposal very challenging because I needed to address a lot of aspects pertaining to evidence-based practice initiatives or outcomes research (e.g. study design, validity, reliability, finding the right measures/tools to use, addressing sampling, etc). It was a rigorous process and I wanted to ensure that I am able to address all the important aspects of the pilot study so that those who will read it will clearly understand the design and method of analysis I will utilize.
- The challenging part of the the IRB application process is in making the consent and going through all the measures/tools I will use and having them translated to Spanish prior to submission, since any changes after the IRB needs to go through IRB again. So I needed to be very sure that the measures are accurate and that there will be no more changes after I submit them for IRB. The IRB Application was easier with the project proposal, but having finished both makes me able to take a deep breath and say: "Another step closer to the finish line."
- The worst thing, as always, is losing several sleepless days and nights to finish a lot of the work involved in the Capstone Project process. Everything I do is a challenge, but I don't see any of those as bad. I always see what is beyond the present and this helps me to keep on going. I am looking forward to being able to start something that the agency will truly benefit from to improve their agency outcomes, and patient outcomes; something that is sustainable and beneficial for the children and their families.
- A big issue in the prevention and treatment of childhood obesity is the lack of funding to operate a the program that we will pilot through this Capstone Project. The dietician's previous nutrition program was funded for 2 years, but that funding already expired. What we are hoping is to be able to use the results of this pilot study for writing a grant proposal. This program needs funds to be able to produce the pamphlets, handouts, and posters on an ongoing basis to give to the families and to use in the clinic examination rooms. Although these are downloadable from the Web site, printer paper and ink are still needed to be able to print them out. We also need to buy a chest with educational toys and books for the kids to choose from as a reward for positive behavior changes.
- If I had the time, I would have applied for small a grant from childhood obesity coalitions to fund this project, or I could have planned a fund raiser in out Parish or sold lemonade in front of the house. I could have also went to my professional nursing organization and asked their help to raise funds for this project. Anything would help. But I didn't have the chance to do any of these.
This has been another challenging semester. But it makes me feel good that we have reached this far. Everyday is a step closer to the finish line. The best reward is being able to do something for the children and families who are disproportionately affected by overweight and obesity. I truly hope that this preventive program will prove to be something that can empower the community to live healthy lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment