I chose to integrate my service learning experience with my Capstone Project, which I am doing in the Fort Bend Family Health Center (FBFHC) in Richmond, Texas. FBFHC is a private, non-profit organization that was incorporated in 1975. It provides outpatient health care services to the Fort Bend county, regardless of the client's financial status or ability to pay. The agency provides services and programs such as WIC, The Community Pediatric Clinic, a comprehensive maternity program, The Community Adult Clinic, pharmacy services with discounted prices, and a mobile clinic that is stationed in Brookshire to provide services to Waller county. Satellite clinics are also located in Stafford where dental services are provided, Brookshire, and Missouri. The agency also offers behavioral health services from social workers, licensed professional counselors, and is in contractual agreement with a psychiatrist from El-Paso providing tele-video conferencing services.
The FBFHC provides primary health care services to indigent members of the community, who for whatever circumstances and reasons may not have any medical insurance coverage or ability to pay. In 2010, 60% of the clients seen in the clinic were Hispanic, 20% were African-American black, 12% were Caucasian, 7% were Asian/Pacific Islander, and <1% fell under the categoty of either Other or Not Known. The biggest age group seen last year were those < 5 years of age (37%), followed by 20-44 years of age (27%), 5-19 years of age (23%), 45-64 years of age (10%), and the least were over 65 years of age (3%).
Funding for the agency comes mainly from the United Way of the Greater Houston and the federal government under the community health center program. The Super Nutritious Action Program (SNAP) ran by a registered dietitian (RD) is a nutrition/diet and weight reduction and management program, which was funded by the Methodist/Baylor Community Health Fund.
Reflections:
It is encouraging to know that there are agencies such as the FBFHC that caters to the needs of the poor and the vulnerable of the community. In spite of the skyrocketing cost of health care, we could not ignore the fact that there are a lot of people around us who could not afford themselves a decent health care. Providing subsidized primary and preventive health care is one way to reduce the amount of unnecessary emergency visits in the Emergency Department and also admission for acute illness, both of which greatly impact the cost of health care. Being able to provide health care to the uninsured or under insured of the community is a great service to the community; one that addresses the issues of equitable and accessible health care to all.
MiMi,
ReplyDeleteI think it is great that you were able to tie this service learning project to your capstone! I did some of my MS work on childhood obesity and I look forward to following your experiences.
Rickie
Mimi, this will be great meaningful work! Margo
ReplyDeleteMimi:
ReplyDeleteThis is valuable and important work and your passion and dedication shines through in your writing. I wish you the best in your endeavors and applaud you for tackling this very timely and concerning issue regarding childhood obesity.
Angie
Thanks Angie. I also believe this is a very timely and relevant project because of the impact that obesity has on morbidity and mortality, not just in the country, but globally as well. I chose children as my population because changing lifestyle and eating habits of children now will have a greater impact to the future health of the country.
ReplyDeleteMimi
Mimi,
ReplyDeleteYour project has the potential to affect many lives. The effects of obesity on one's health is HUGE (no pun intended). When I started doing diabetes education, no children had Type II Diabetes. Now so many are getting this disease. I wonder how their health will be when they are my age, or if they will even live to see 50. If I can help with anything for your capstone, please let me know. Good luck!
Nanc
Mimi,
ReplyDeleteI understand your passion for service, I share the same passion. It sounds as if in so many ways you have given back already. Good luck in the future and I look forward in watching your wonderful work progress.
Juanita
Thanks Juanita... I wish the same for you.
ReplyDelete