The Fort Bend Family Health Center (FBFHC) is the venue for my Capstone Project. I chose to integrate my service learning experience with my Capstone Project which addresses the needs of the overweight and obese children seen in the clinic. They are a vulnerable and disadvantaged population because most of the children seen in the clinic are from the low-income Hispanic population of the community. Although the children are able to speak and understand the English language, most of the parents are not. Also, the ethnic and racial disparity in the rate of obesity in the country makes them a vulnerable population.
For both my Capstone Project and Service Learning Experience, I would like to address the issue of overweight and obesity among the children seen in the clinic for wellness or sick visits. I am hoping to develop a plan that will improve the outcomes for both the population and the agency. For my project, I am collaborating with my mentor who is the Special Projects Officer of the FBFHC and with the registered dietitian (RD) at the agency to assess the poor outcomes of the programs geared towards nutrition/diet and weight management. Through this collaborative relationship and an extensive systematic review of literature, I hope to be able to propose a project that will address the issues of the ineffective RD referral process and practice at the site; the inappropriate attitudes of the staff regarding the RD's role; their lack of knowledge on the issue of overweight and childhood obesity; and the need for cultural competence in caring for a very diverse population.
I have been on site several times during the past weeks meeting with my mentor and the RD at the site to discuss the issues above. I have also observed some of the sessions that the RD had with her clients for counseling and for the SNAP. On my last meeting with my mentor, I told her that I will be spending a good few weeks to do my systematic literature search/review. I am planning to set up a meeting with them next week to discuss the PICO statement and to obtain their feedback.
Because FBFHC runs its operations through funds and grants, there is a great need for financial support for projects and programs that will augment the routine wellness and sick visits with the providers. If opportunities open up for a DNP at the site, I can very well see myself working with and for this agency. I can see the possibility of being involved in the program or project development or quality improvement.
Reflections:
Why childhood obesity? Childhood obesity is not just an agency issue, but a national issue that has caught the attention of both government and private sectors. The rate of obesity in the country has more than tripled over the past few decades. Although there has been a heightened awareness of the issue, there has been no improvement in the rate of obesity in the country. And so I find this not just an urgent and relevant issue, but one that is multi-factorial and complex in nature.
When I was deciding what to do and where to go for my DNP project, I was drawn to this project because it is directly involved with the poor, the vulnerable, and the disadvantaged. For some reason, I find more meaning and contentment when I am doing something for and with the "least of my brother." I could not draw a line between my personal and professional values and goals. I have mentioned time and again how everything I do as a wife, mother, daughter, or nurse is motivated by my desire to give back what I have been generously given. I am passionate about serving to give back. I find that with this project and experience, I can learn more to value all the resources that I've been given: my time and my talent.
When I think about what I would like to do when I become a DNP, I am greatly considering a role in the primary health care setting such as the FBFHC. I would like to be more involved with advocacy or direct care for the poor, disadvantaged, and vulnerable of the community. With God's grace, I hope to find a place where work and service goes hand in hand.
No comments:
Post a Comment