Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Learning experience of mind, heart, and hand

The service learning experience (SLE) I am engaged in for this program is a longitudinal service experience that will span the entire DNP program. Since my Capstone Project is also my SLE, I am very grateful for the opportunity to serve the disadvantaged segment of my community that is affected by childhood overweight and obesity.

For this project, I am closely working with the registered dietician (RD) at the health center to develop an evidence-based protocol to prevent childhood obesity. I have spent some time observing some nutrition counseling sessions she had with her clients. On one session, she had a Hispanic female client who had diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, and obesity. To top this off, she was just laid off from her job as a care taker for an elderly woman because she needed to take care of her own mother who has been in and out of the ICU for complications of diabetes and heart disease. Obviously, she was having some financial strain having no job while she was taking care of her ill mother.

When the RD started talking to her about how her diet and exercise plans have been going, she said she had to stop for a while because of what had happened to her recently. She sad that she has been eating out with her family to McDonald or What-A-Burger because it was so much easier to buy and eat out than to go to the grocery to pick out what to cook.

After a while, she made a commitment to start eating good home-cooked food again. When the RD asked about her plans to start going back to her routine exercise, she said she'll start the week after because she still wanted to rest for a few days. She asked if it was OK to count cleaning the house as her exercise for the day and she was told no; that it had to be a real exercise that will speed up her heart rate and with her weight, she was advised to do at least 30 minutes of brisk walking every day. At that point, she was no longer working and she had all the time she needs to exercise, but she finds this very hard to do. This is the lifestyle she is used to.

Obesity is indeed a multi-faceted issue that cannot be tackled head-on without a theoretical framework that will address the cultural barriers that impede the success of any program and intervention geared towards its prevention. A big part of the issue is behavioral in nature; therefore, it needs a holistic approach that will will tap into the dynamics of family and individual behaviors.

With this SLE/Capstone Project, I hope there will be a better understanding and commitment from the staff and the providers to take this issue seriously; that they are the ones who can empower these individuals and families to change their eating and lifestyle habits not just for cosmetic purposes, but for their overall health and quality of life. This cannot be possible without a collaborative and holistic approach between and among the health care professionals and the staff.

The greatest challenge for me is the element of time. I find myself always rushing with the limited amount of time I have. Nonetheless, all of these are not in vain. As I reflect upon what I have learned in the classroom and in the field, I find myself questioning and searching for answers to understand better the complexities and dynamics of health, illness, and humanity. It makes me pause to think about what I can do to make things better and how I can do it. This is nursing praxis that leads to emancipatory knowing. My nursing paradigm continues to evolve from individual-focused care to population-focused care. I realized that I need to shift my focus on preventive care because if the rate of childhood obesity if curtailed, millions of lives and billions of dollars will be saved.

I plan to continue working on this Capstone Project as my SLE throughout the program. When time is not longer an issue (that is after this program), I will continue doing volunteer services in any capacity that I can. Through the service-oriented program of Regis University that underpins the Ignatian Pedagogical Paradigm, service has become embedded in me that what I have learned from the mind has moved to the heart, and is now made manifest in the workings of the hand.

4 comments:

  1. Mimi,
    I think you have hit the nail on the head. As we move into the DNP role, we shift somewhat from taking care of the individual into caring for a population base. This is indeed the beginning of the future for nursing leaders in healthcare. We will use the latest evidence in caring for this population. I also find that your example of interdisciplinary approach in your service learning is right on track. It is exciting to hear of the challenges and impact you are having in this population! Kathy Bradley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy,

    Thanks for your comments. The nursing paradigm shift from individual-focused care to population-focused preventive care has been the highlight of this program for me, thus far. It has really changed my perspective about what my future role would be and as a future DNP, I have a feeling that this is the direction I might want to go.

    Thanks again.... Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an excellent service learning experience! Your passion shines through for this ever-growing problem of childhood obesity. You are so correct about the problem being multifaceted. It is such a shame much of our focus has been off physicial education in schools and getting kids outdoors again, playing and exercising. When I was a kid, I was outside sun-up to sun-down, bike riding, skating, running and playing. Nowadays, kids are happy playing with the cell phone they got at age 5!
    I wish you all the best with this capstone project and service learning endeavor.
    Angie Houck

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the contributing factors for obesity is the change in the lifestyle of people across all race/ethnicity and background. You are so correct that when we were children, we are out of the house playing til sunset. I wish things were the way it used to be. Our parents probably didn't fear much about our safety then than we do now for our kids. It's not just the emergence of electronic games and gadgets to play with, but also the issue of poverty and violence. Poverty is driving some people to resort to violence, making our streets unsafe for kids to play around without us having to worry about someone abducting them.

    Obesity is truly a complex multi-faceted problem. As I learn more about it, I can see why it's so much easier to eat out and stay inside the house.

    Thanks for your comments.

    Mimi

    ReplyDelete