Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Serving the Health Needs of the Underserved Individuals and Families of the Community

My service learning for this semester is a continuation of my service learning experience from last semester. It is also my Capstone Project; hence, it is a longitudinal service learning experience where I hope to make a lasting impact on the lives of the target population of my Capstone Project.

On my initial post, I have discussed the service learning site in detail. However, I would like to give a brief overview about the agency, this time focusing on their mission and vision, which defines who and what they are to the community and the people they serve.

Fort Bend Family Health Center, Inc. is a private, not-for-profit community health center that provides individual and family health care services to Fort Bend and Waller Counties in Texas. The services they provide include medical, laboratory, dental, nutrition, and optical services in four different locations. The target population they serve are those whose incomes are at or below 200% the federal poverty guideline. They do not deny anyone, regardless of income or ability to pay. Therefore, people from neighboring counties also come to the health center to get the health care they could not afford elsewhere. Funding is primarily through United Way Agency of the Greater Houston.

Mission Statement:
Fort Bend Family Health Center, Inc. is committed to improving the quality of life for underserved individuals and families by promoting good health through the delivery of quality integrated services.  We are dedicated to providing our services with compassion and respect.

Vision Statement:
Fort Bend Family Health Center, Inc. will be a vital part of a collaborative system that enables every man, woman, and child to achieve a personal vision of wellness. Toward that end, staff members enjoy and anticipate returning to work daily and go home every night knowing that a positive difference has been made in the lives of others.


Values: Diversity, Integrity, Respect, Excellence, Compassion, Teamwork

DNP's Role in Promoting Health and Wellness in Underserved Population

My role in this agency is to identify a feasible evidence-based preventive program for the pediatric population to improve the agency's, the dietician's, and the patients' outcomes. For this mission, I have done an extensive systematic review of evidence to identify the best approach or intervention. Implementing a program in the hopes of decreasing the prevalence of childhood overweight and obesity is not easy. I realized I need to abide by certain rigorous standards to ensure validity of my project. 

The different DNP roles I embody in this Capstone Project and Service Learning Experience are the following:

1. Essential III. Clinical Scholarship and Analytic Methods for Evidence-Based Practice-
I am a volunteer in the agency, but at the same time, I am helping the agency identify an evidence-based preventive program or protocol that will be serviced by the dietician. This required an extensive search of the evidences and identifying a study design and analytic method most suitable for the aims of the project and the resources that are available. It would be difficult for an individual to engage in evidence-based practice without the right education. So now I can appreciate more the importance of clinical scholarship in EBP. One cannot stand on its own. Although DNPs are not engaged in the development of theories like the PhD nurses are, application of research to practice still requires ample amount of knowledge and expertise in outcomes research. 

2. Essential VI. Interprofessional Collaboration for Improving Patient and Population Health Outcomes-
I have been in collaboration with the agency's registered dietician and Special Projects Officer to continually update them with the progress of the project and to get their feedback. I have also collaborated with a few people from the scientific community to obtain guidance, advice, and direction for the Capstone Project. I am also fortunate to have the support of one of the Expert Committee members Dr. Sarah Barlow, although we have not actually met yet. She is actually the lead author of The Expert Committee's Recommendations Regarding the Prevention, Assessment, and Treatment of Child and Adolescent overweight and Obesity: Summary Report (2007). Collaboration with the appropriate people is integral for the success of this project. Since I am the team leader, so to speak, I have to make the initiative to meet and collaborate with the people who are able to provide guidance and feedback to ensure that this preventive program is based on the best available evidence out there.

3. Essential VII. Clinical Prevention and Population Health for Improving the Nation's Health
Childhood obesity is not just a national epidemic, but a global health issue that is affecting tens of millions of children. If no action is taken to prevent the rising prevalence of child and adolescent overweight in the country, these generation of children might not live long enough as their parents and grandparent will or have lived. Childhood obesity is linked with a lot of medical conditions such as type 2 diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, asthma, and sleep apnea and others. There really is no evidence as to what is the best intervention to prevent and treat obesity in the primary care setting. Therefore, the strategy to halt the rising prevalence of obesity is prevention. If effective prevention programs using the best available evidence are implemented in the communities throughout the nation, this is going to make a huge impact on population health and subsequently, the nation's health. For this reason, I feel greatly accountable for ensuring the agency that this is the best available evidence. 


To close, I would like to quote the words that the Institute of Medicine released with regards to childhood obesity:
The obesity epidemic is a serious public health problem
that calls for immediate action to reduce its prevalence as well as its health and social
consequences. Therefore, the committee felt strongly that actions should be based on the best available evidence -  as opposed to waiting for the best possible evidence.
(IOM, 2004).

This project is in line with the mission and vision of the agency. It will serve the needs of the underserved population of the community who are very much affected by childhood obesity. Therefore, I must keep focused and keep my resolve to make this through, that I too may serve the needs of the underserved.

Reference:
IOM. (2004). Preventing childhood obesity: Health in the balance. Retrieved from the Website of IOM @ http://www.iom.edu/~/media/Files/Report%20Files/2004/Preventing-Childhood-Obesity-Health-in-the-Balance/ChildhoodObesity4pagerfixforwebpdf.pdf.


4 comments:

  1. Mimi-
    I like the way that your project is meshing with your service learning opportunity. Also, the collaborative efforts and connections you made with people that can guide you through the process of sharing pitfalls and celebrations of the plight of childhood obesity. I am not sure if I shared this with you, but my child has always been a heavier type of child since she was born. She had the cute pudgy cheeks and the rolls on her arms. A sitter pointed out to me when she was around 4 years old that we were sending too much food for her. I was completely applaud, instead of feeling like she was helping me, I felt she was criticizing my parenting skills. I feel terrible that I did not take notice. However, her pointing this out to me made me diligently keep my child involved in activities to control the weight. Being involved in activities has instilled teamwork, confidence, and explored her interests. She is a girl though, and she realizes that she is still bigger that those thin girls. I have never been a mother that keeps sweets in the house...I do not buy chips or all the fun foods that are curtailed to children. I think sometimes that obesity tendency might be somewhat genetic. My daughter is shaped like me (curvy), my son is shaped like my husband (a stick figure). So, as a parent I build her up, buy her clothes that embraces confidence, and provide a listening ear to her challenges of being a teenager. We walk together 2-3 times a week for 1 hour this allows her the opportunity to pick my brain and I am allowed to find out how she is feeling in her world while offering advice. She loves drama, being in plays and dancing. I am her sounding board, confidant, and hand holder.
    I applaud your efforts.....As a parent, watching a child grow up with being slightly obese has been heartbreaking....obesity has lasting effects and is a family problem. But with obesity being an epidemic....it certainly has switched into a global problem. Krista LaRussa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Krista,

    Genetics and hereditary predisposition is also a determinant for obesity. If I had the genes, my kids would also be on the overweight or obese side. They love to eat junk foods and play their electronic games all day. We usually ran or biked around our community after dinner, but we haven't done that since I went back to school. We try to go swimming every now and then, depending on how busy I am.

    I am glad that you are building up your daughter's self-confidence. I'm sure it's not easy to watch your child growing up to be overweight. They do need a good dose of self-esteem to know she'd be able to go through the challenges of being overweight and that she'd be able to overcome them. I actually plant to promote the message that we will use for healthy lifestyle at home. I need to start at home so I will be posting the poster in our kitchen of the 5-2-1-0 message.

    5-5 servings of fruits and veggies a day
    2-2 hours or less of screen time a day (this is hard!)
    1- 1 hour of physical activity a day
    0- no sugar-sweetened beverage a day

    I wish you the best. We just need to be consistent and give them all our love.

    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mimi,

    Childhood obesity is such a worthy issue for your capstone and your service learning project. As you are aware obesity and lack of exercise are risk factors for diabetes (American Diabetes Association, 2011).

    The good news is Type 2 Diabetes can be prevented with the three simple things I tell my patients to do: Move more, eat less, and eat right (American Diabetes Association).

    If we can teach children at an early age how important exercise is, we can help them develop habits that may make the difference between life and death (or at least an early death). Your service and capstone work will have ripple effects that may never be realized in your lifetime. If you teach one family, they may develop habits that affect other family members, which effect other family and friends, etc.

    It does seem a shame that we now have to teach people to eat right and exercise. Years ago people had to exercise to get their food. Now we just pull our car up to a window, give people money, and we get food in a bag!

    I look forward to hearing more about your project and service work. I am certain the facility and patiens are very grateful for your work. Good luck my friend!

    Nanc

    American Diabetes Association. (2011). Prevention.
    Retrieved from http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/prevention/?utm_source=Homepage&utm_medium=ContentPage&utm_content=Prevention&utm_campaign=TDT

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of things have changed Nanc. I remember those days when me and my siblings are happy playing hide and seek outside the house, or play with mud, go to the playground, etc. Now, you hardly see kids playing outside the house. Most kids are busy with their computers and electronic games (like my kids are). Wow.... I have to teach my family first before I can teach others.

    If we could just make people see how preventable obesity, diabetes, and other CVDs are, and how important it is for the change to come from them, I'm sure this will make a big difference in their lives.

    Thanks for your insight.

    Mimi

    ReplyDelete